View Single Post
Old 30 Jan 2008, 01:27 (Ref:2116718)   #25
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
For the cars, I really liked the smooth shapes we saw in the '80s. Indy/champ cars should stick with something akin to the Cosworth DFX, 2.65-litre V8s. The current IRL engines don't rev heigh enough, so they sound like half a dozen others types of formula cars, not to mention the Judd powered Le Mans Prototypes and all the LMP2s. And I'm REALLY not comfortable with the aero stability, or lack thereof, of the IRL cars. Also, the oval racing has kind of taken on a pattern. You just don't see decisive moves on the faster ovals in IRL races, and on slower ovals like Iowa, the only way around is the inside line; there is no fighting for the position. So for a first stage, I'd draw up a clean-sheet chassis/bodywork that would accomodate the Cosworth.

The concept for the schedule that was laid out was good. For my part, the ovals would be Indy, Michigan, California, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Pocono, and Motegi. For temprary circuit, my picks would be St. Petersburg, Long Beach, Edmonton, Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit (1998-2001 circuit), and Surfers Paradise. Finally, the road courses: Mont Tremblant (PLEASE, no chicane), Portland, Laguna Seca, Road America, Watkins Glen (PLEASE, no Innerloop), Road Atlanta, and Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.

If you unleash the new generation of cars, it rules out a number of ovals, including one in Italy that (while it's totally unrealistic) would be just wild to see open-wheelers on again. If you want a European tour, stick it in with Motegi and Surfers Paradise in September and October. Do either Brands Hatch (GP Circuit) and Mugello, or do Rockingham and Lausitzring.

I think I would allow push-to-pass in its final form from the 2007 season at some of the races. I think it would be worthwhile at the road and street circuits with more substantial straights: Long Beach, Toronto, Cleveland, Surfers Paradise, St. Jovite, Road America, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, and Mexico City (Mugello too, if you did the European road courses). I think tire strategy should be completely up to the teams. If you can make the softs last, good for you. If you can keep pace on the hards, great.