View Single Post
Old 18 Jul 2019, 09:47 (Ref:3918312)   #34
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@myself - TL;DR

@Gaz170 - the issue is that Chev is probably shelving the Camaro in the next couple of years. so then where do they turn? if they want to keep doing this they need a complete rethink. the only real answer I can see to retain the V8 scenario is run something like a MARC car - hell they even have a Mustang that looks like a Mustang...

I have found the TCR racing in Aus to be great, and while certainly interested i was skeptical about what was going to be seen. from what i have seen to BTCC, yes probably too much biff. AusTCR seems to have this more or less under control and the drivers seem to be respecting it for the moment. 10 sec penalties applied for unnecessary contact. the gret test for TCR is are they strong enough to stand up to Lync and Co. if not, this could go south or they will need to allow full manuf models (tbh im not upset with this as long as total cost is contained as it currently is)

At this stage, unless the ass end totally falls out of V8SC then i cant see GT3 or TCR taking over in the short term. maybe GT4. With GT3, i love the cars and regularly attend the 12 hour but they are on rails. im sure they are amazing to drive but to watch is a bit meh. the series kicked a major own goals in Aus with the penalty pit stop scenario where name drivers had to spend longer in the pits etc. that was bullshit and totally turned me off. many other disagree and thats their choice. i guess in summary GT3 is racing to shut the gate while the horse is currently down the road, over the hill and far away.

Aus motorsport is somewhat at a crossroads much like F1 was with the new turbo era. whether V8SC and its fans accepts that or not its still a fact. TCR is never going to please the great unwashed at McPhillamy Park, but does it have to? maybe its time for a change and change can take time.

Look at the latest 888 Red Bull / Holden deal. yes, they re signed but the hot rumor was it was for much less than before. If the 2nd best team in the country cant get full value, what hope does BJR or similar have? fair play to Penske - he did what Penske does best - used his checkbook (hes American hence Yank spelling) and wielded it like a sledgehammer bought the best talent and brought in a car to the letter but not the spirit of the rules that may actually hasten the demise of the sport. I guess that is what it is. the sport is so desperate to have Ford and RP involved, they will throw some half hearted parity measures at it without addressing the major issues. toothless tigers. before i get a flood of Ford hate mail, id say the same if it was a Holden team flouting the rules like that. the issues with the Commodore (probably also Ludos ideas in at least some part) should have been addressed last year and FFS put them in a wind tunnel - or just get Penskes results from his

reduced calendars, falling viewership and TV deals that are not in the best interest of the sport have not helped. it certainly makes it harder in my opinion to convince a potential sponsor to part with their cash to sustain your team at current staffing - but i guess on the bright side BJR will save on changing the livery every 20 minutes ( I know , you have Fox / Kayo and you love it - no one in the general public cares).

we live in some interesting motorsport times.

Last edited by HDTVKSS; 18 Jul 2019 at 09:53.