View Single Post
Old 4 Jan 2021, 10:24 (Ref:4026679)   #70
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by saaben View Post
Ten years ago, Dec 1st 2010, I was caught in blizzard on the A57 nr Worksop.
I came to a stop in the truck at 4pm on the Tues and it was 4pm on the Thus that we got going again. On the Tues night a snowplough turned up and promptly got stuck.
On the Weds morning ' a couple from a cottage half a mile away struggled through deep snow with sandwiches, biscuits and flasks to help all the drivers stuck with no food.
A tractor then towed me ( in an artic ) near to North Anston but no further because the A57 was still blocked with abandoned vehicles and deep snow towards the M1.
So another cosy night in the cab,then at 6am I walked to the community centre which was full of truckers snoring away, for a shave with a free towel and a free cooked breakfast from food donated by kind villages.
I am now retired and felt quite smug yesterday as I watched the snow falling.
Ah, a rare post from Saaben. Good story - I reckon these events in the UK are getting rarer though, as on the whole, our winters seem to have generally become milder. Ah, beat me to it, Tim. Love the pic of our 4 legged friends.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!