View Single Post
Old 6 Mar 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3806159)   #467
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
Why is there such a furore about the position of the current RSR's engine? The BMW M3 GT2 and Corvette C7R are similar to the Porsche but at the other end of the car.
BMW:

Corvette:
From this picture, the only bits of the Corvette's engine in front of the front axle centreline are some pipes/hoses.

The Aston Martin is similar, though pictures are harder to come by.
The M3 GT2 is the reason that Porsche can do this. One of the many waivers BMW applied for at the time was to move the engine well back in the chassis, almost into the cockpit.
That waiver eventually made its way into the regulations proper. The end result is that there is no such thing as a mid-engined car in the GTE regulations. The engine is either in front of or behind the cockpit. So there are front-engined (Vantage, M8, C7) and rear-engined (911, 488, GT) cars. The engine can then be moved fore or aft within that restriction. Chevrolet could do an Audi Quattro if they wanted to and put the engine between the headlights.
A manufacturer cannot, as Radio Le Mans/IMSA Radio have said, move the engine from in front of the cockpit to behind it.

Had to get that off my chest, it's been a bugbear of mine since the Porsche was announced.
Explained in few words:
You're right posting that bmw and corvette (and basically any other FR layout gte/gt3) placed the engine close to the center of the car, but in their road versions the engine bay is already behind the front axle!

While as far I know it simply doesn't exist a road MR "porsche made" 911. Simple.