Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 7 Dec 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3868638)   #3352
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It's also down to how good the initial CAD model of the car is, which is the starting point for a CFD simulation.
I am not an expert on this, but I think it is less about the 3D car model (those are probably well defined), but the "model" of the interaction of the car with everything else. Static is easy (stable car going straight in clean air) Dynamic conditions are hard. Stuff like following other cars and being in turbulent flow or the dynamics of your own car as is moves around on the track.

Watch slow motion video of cars and you see things like suspension movement, tire vibration, or even small fluttering of various body parts such as the wings or even engine covers (I know, there is no "movable aero"... yeah right!). You know this stuff likely matters. So you put all of that into a computer model. Or if the list of variables is infinite (you can't model everything, or at least it is hard to do so), then how to you figure out which ones have the largest impact and which you ignore.

Richard