View Single Post
Old 1 Apr 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3894730)   #27
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Was Kimi 2005 when his from tire was so badly flat spotted that the front suspension let go shortly before the end of the race? If that's the case, the car was under severe vibration for a while before things fell apart.

Vettel's front wing came off in short order after the spin which would lead to tell me how super fragile these front wings are this year. Ricci's wing peeled off pretty easy too hitting that grass side walk at the start in Oz.

We have all seen where cars have even taken some bad bumps and some air and the wings have stayed intact.

Just seems bizarre how quickly Vettel's wing came off. Maybe there is more to the story, who knows.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
I have read that there is an approach with the Ferrari front wing, where they focus on energy towards the centre of the nose, as opposed to others who focus on the endplates.

This has been speculated as a cause for the lack of performance in Australia, where the more undulating surface made this less effective, or required thicker supports.
At the 'smooth' circuits (Barcelona and Bahrain), they can be thinner and more focussed on the nose.

This could be the reason why this is a potential weak point in the car, which is exposed on rough surfaces (or when the car is not stable). It might also explain why the car reacted so suddenly when crossing a vortex, as there is a single aero point that has its flow broken.