View Single Post
Old 6 Jun 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3416352)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I hope they have the tire stuff from Practice 1 sorted, or found that persistent piece of debris.

Anyway, Power is on pole, with a fastest lap overall of the event at 23.858sec (224.076-mph).

I'm a bit dubious of some of IndyCar's listed track measurements, and this seems to be another case, like Barber and Detroit. Barber is 2.300 miles, not 2.380. The long course at Belle Isle has been 2.385 miles these last two runnings, not 2.350 miles, which appears to be the course length they will have in 2015. And now, they list Texas as 1.455 miles, which is the first I've seen of that length.

Generally, Texas just gets called as 1.500 miles, but based on various sources, I think it's 1.485 miles around. This probably stems from the extra paving they did after the first Cup race, but before the first IRL race, back during the 1997 season. That added asphalt on the inside of the tri-oval moves the center-line further to the inside, and slightly shortens the measured lap length from an even 1.500 miles.