View Single Post
Old 13 Sep 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2539713)   #103
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I mean the A3.
The A4 has official backing.
Doesn't that falsify your earlier statement about manufacturers not liking unauthorised silhouettes?
I think it's not necessarily a question about Europe or (Southern?)America, but more about the automarket conditions in the respective countries where the series run.

Germany is in a way a really bad example, as it is the home country of quite a number of automobile companies and a really big market. So the German market warrants full-fledged factory efforts and privateer efforts that make manufacturers look bad tend to do more harm than elsewhere.

In contrast, Belgium - or Denmark, for that matter - has no automobile manufacturers to speak of and the market for cars is also a lot smaller than in Germany, hence the importers can take the little money they have for racing activities and use it to support privateer teams.

In general, I think that Germany's strong position on the automotive market is more a curse than a blessing, as companies tend to take everything including racing very serious, whereas in smaller countries, there's more of a spirit of experimentation, enthusiams and "Open"-ness.

In a nutshell, I am not sure that manufacturers would inted try to stop the Danish from using their silhouettes. For the reasons I mentioned above, I think that V8STAR is really not a good example in that regard.