View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2015, 06:26 (Ref:3528797)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, kind remarks, thanks. Lots of great cars in the paddock but such a busy morning that I didn't have time to dwell on them or even snap them. The late arrival of the Grist HWM meant me rushing around to get all the other drivers to sign agreement to allow Matt to join our grid. They will probably regret that since from the back row he managed to come through the pack to win. There were some great drives though. James Cottingham's opening stint was stunning with his Dad's Ferrari, taking the lead from the start and opening it up with loads of visible arm twirling and making the car dance, Tom Walker was mighty early on with his Allard J2R Le Mans (which he calls 'The Shed' due to its fantastic age patina!) to emerge for a while in 2nd place after a fantastic dice for that position with several other cars, Jonathan Abecassis in his Austin Healey was very competitive, as was the always on form Andy Sharp in his DB2. A brilliant second half drive by Chris Ward taking over the Gordini from owner Eddie McGuire was scintillating and took him to 4th, just half a second short of Andy and less than 8 seconds covered the first 4 cars after 30 mins (including a pit stop) of racing. Sadly Charly Willems had to retire his HW Alta Jaguar before the end of the first lap, the second year running that he has brought that wonderful car over from Germany and failed to complete a racing lap, and we also had two Austin Healeys's come together in Brooklands. Those apart, this was fantastic fun with good dicing down the field, and I thank all the competitors for making it so. I was particularly grateful to Justin Kennedy who allowed the famous ex Abecassis DB2 VMF 65 to be raced by Tony Green.

For the record, I had to change all the classes around on the day so, the class structure in the programme and on the results sheets is wrong, so completely forgiveable but I feel that I ought to point out that the fastest laps posted for the Ferrari and Gordini were by the James Cottingham and Chris Ward, not as stated.

Really look forward to some photos, John

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Apr 2015 at 06:42.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!