View Single Post
Old 10 May 2021, 12:45 (Ref:4050860)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Well tbf motorsport is first and foremost about the drivers and that should always be the consideration.
Certainly at club level this is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
I will always be of the belief that having one very strong series is better than two at half strength, those with vested interest will always say grids are big etc etc, but that is nonsense, that only really means the events can go ahead, it doesn't mean they are any good, when I have watched BTRDA, it is always empty, races are often spread out, this can happen in any series, but it leaves me cold I am afraid.
Realistically there are too many cars/drivers for a combined meeting. Cars can be built that fit into both championships so drivers have flexibility to pick and choose if they want to. As long as both championships have healthy entries I fail to see a problem.

It has to be said that I enjoyed the BTRDA meeting at Lydden last year and the winter meetings too - the racing was good across the board and ultimately that's what I go to watch. If it's not working for you that's fair enough (I find watching bikes does nothing for me - so I don't do it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
When you have two series competing for entries, it is never a good thing, sadly as you can see here, those involved are quite happy, and the only people that suffer are fans and to some extent drivers as they play in a very small pond. And often are happy to stay at a very low level winning than pushing on.
If you've got 2 series competing for drivers then surely that encourages the series to provide what the drivers want? That should be good for the sport as it keeps drivers happy and is more likely to bring in new drivers.

As for "happy to stay at a very low level winning than pushing on" - these drivers are competing for fun (often on very tight budgets). Where are they supposed to be 'pushing on' to? It's not like they're going to be making a career out of rallycross. I think your expectations may be a bit high here - it's a clubmans sport for all but a very few.