View Single Post
Old 8 Dec 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3945598)   #7271
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
560bhp is still about 50-60 more hp than what the GTE cars make, and I'm betting that at LM the LMP2 trap speeds will still be fairly impressive depending on what the LMP Hypercars do.

If GTE cars can barely touch the crippled Toyotas at Shanghai on top speed, taking 40bhp away from LMP2s probably won't do too much. And the LMP2s were a bleep to pass for the Toyotas at Shanghai.

And if it does become an issue, I can see the ACO taking a few bhp away from the GTE cars. You do have to remember that this sort of started with the post 2015 rules giving them more aggressive aero and a power boost.

One issue though that I do think needs to maybe be addressed is that LMP Hypercar and LMP2 will be spec tire. There were rumors that both GTE classes might be as well, but the ACO have backpedaled on that recently. If GTE classes remain open tire, especially GTE Pro, we can see even with a power reduction laptimes remain the same though tire development. Though overall times are irrelevant as long as there's still enough top speed separation.