View Single Post
Old 9 Dec 2019, 01:11 (Ref:3945641)   #7273
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If Toyota's 2.4 twin turbo V6 is capable of 600bhp (I think their claim of 500bhp is way conservative, when you consider that the Gibson in the Rebellion is claimed to make nearly 700bhp), and the aformentioned Gibson is a 4.5 liter V8 and makes about 700, then 700+ out of the Aston Martin 6.5 liter V12 shouldn't be a problem.

Biggest issue with Hypercar is the ACO's proposed approx 3:30 lap time around LM, and the weight bump to 1100kg. LMP2s detuned by 40bhp and at 930kg will probably still easily do significantly below 3:30 on current Michelin or Goodyear rubber.

I personally highly doubt that even with 700-800hp and 1100kg that Hypercar will be at 3:30 or lower. We won't be seeing sub 3:20s out of them, but I think that 3:30 is pretty low as to what to expect out of Hypercar. Last time that a top class car ran 3:30s in qualifying or the race at LM was 2006. You can't just undo nearly a decade in a half of what has been learned since then.

Look at GTE Pro. Those cars are much heavier than the old GT1 cars, have narrower tires, and a lot less power, and have to run steel brake rotors. But they're now as fast if not faster than the last of the top flight GT1s were. Take them down to 1100-1135kg, give them 600+bhp and carbon brakes, they'll be a ton faster, as in what GT1s could be doing now on modern tires.

Also, LMP1 Hypercars will also be 2000mm wide like the pre-2014 LMP1s. I don't know if that means that wider wheels and tires will be back, though. And we have to remember that there were concerns of LMP1s and LMP2s stacking up on each other at LM and other power tracks because of similar if not higher top speeds of LMP2s, but that never really happened.

Last edited by chernaudi; 9 Dec 2019 at 01:18.