View Single Post
Old 20 Dec 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3346274)   #22
Coldasice
Rookie

Canada
Coldasice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
If they nail the aero, it will be The Winner! Aero is going to be almost as key as all the new energy management, as aero plays huge role when it comes to efficiency. The new Audi and the Porsche do not strike with anything radically new for aero efficiency, which could be of great importance if Toyota pulls out some out of the box thinking and comes up with a car that is significantly more aero efficient. I hope they do something dramatically different, it will be so interesting to see what's coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I wouldn't disagree with that. TMG are more aero-minded from their F1 days in their opinion.

That said, the R18 and especially the 919 are very basic test cars. If either Audi or Porsche have a trick - or tricks - up their sleeves, they're unlikely to show them yet.
All interesting points. Yes it is true that Toyota in their F1 days had excellent aero on some of their F1 cars. So much so, that Ferrari directly poached some of Toyota's aero ideas from the TF109 and the never-released TF110 after Toyota exited F1, which directly helped Ferrari's aero.

The chances are good for some innovative aero to be used. Toyota in F1 had used a variety of innovative aero designs on their cars over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Looks like Toyota plans to keep their cards close to their chest by not revealing the car until March.

Smart move, if it works out. It probably won't, even Porsche couldn't keep spy shots from appearing.
How do you know the Porsche shots weren't "unofficially" leaked out on purpose?

Toyota is a master of secrecy. If they use all their willpower to prevent any leaks, then believe me, you will not see a single leak. If however Toyota "lets" some leaks occur, then certainly spy shots will leak out.

By that, I mean Toyota is well aware of on which race tracks is it physically and practically possible to take spy shots. They will only test on such race tracks once they are ready for the possibility of leaked shots to come out.

Otherwise they'd be doing most of their track testing on secretive private tracks, like the Fuji track they own themselves, or the numerous top secret private test tracks they own in Japan. On those tracks it is physically impossible to get any spy shots without triggering alarms and security personnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
It has been said long ago that the rollout is in early January.
Yes, I believe this was mentioned before. However "rollout" and "official unveil" may be 2 different things. The "rollout" could be the unofficial testing rollout, and we may not see official images of the final car until March.