View Single Post
Old 25 Mar 2015, 01:52 (Ref:3519208)   #24
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hybrids have arrived in motor sport and it is not negotiable, in fact the next generation of motors for F1 will tip even further away from the IC motor. I don't say that from any knowledge of what will happen as nothing has happened but from the logical sequence of events that got us this far and what is happening in the market place. You would have to be deaf, dumb, blind and stupid to think otherwise. The electric series open wheelers is really starting to attract some very serious sponsors and interest as that is where they see the future, there was one mentioned the other day but I can't recall who it was. Next year they are allowing more power to be used if I understand it all and this will create more interest. The avalanche has started and there is no stopping it, just like the IC motor overcame every other power source its time has come and the industry is actively looking at alternatives.

If I had my way the present system would be thrown and a small block Chev or similar with turbo would be in the back of them. Cheap, cheerful, powerful enough to do the job and any decent mechanic can work on it. BTW I am serious about the motor but wiser heads prevail and we have to spend millions to do the same job endangering the viability of the series.

Back on topic, as for Honda not being up to speed, it beggars belief that they could get into such a mess but there is a factor that I have not seen mentioned. Their design lead time would roughly parallel the introduction of the present motors beginning in 2014 so they may have set in stone some of the design from early last year and decided to stick with their initial design even if they saw what was happening on the track. Just surmising of course but it seems viable.