View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 2019, 13:22 (Ref:3927164)   #20
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Whilst I don't disagree with the idea of making the driving standards flag count in some way, to introduce it when there are drivers with a wide range of points already on the table would be difficult.

For a driver who has no/few points to flout the driving standards in order to win a race in the knowledge that it won't have an immediate effect, a driver on many points at the time its introduced picking up a driving standard warning or points, could put them out of the next race.

The playing field would have to be levelled first.
I see your point, but there seems to be a general assumption that driver can now just do whatever they want and at worst get a black/white flag.

I think the use of it should be... "I (as driver) feel lucky I got a black/white vs. a direct race penalty (stop/go, etc.)". Regular penalties should still be handed out for those that move just a bit out of the grey area (such as the recent re-entry in front of other race cars).

I fully recognize this problem is the consistency of application. That some will say... driver X did the same thing last week and only got a black/white while this week driver Y got a harsher penalty.

I will say... that we were already in that situation today before the black/white flag. I would say that tying driver points to black/white flag is "more strict" than the pre-black/white flag situation, but still less strict than it was maybe a year ago (pre... "let them race")

As to the fairness of those who already have points against them and those who don't might take advantage of them. Isn't that the entire point of having a points system? It is long term punishment. If you don't want to get taken advantage of later in the season... don't rack up points early on. As to it being a bit unfair to those who might have a number of points now... Again.. Who is getting punished here. Those drivers with a number of points on their license? So be it! Prior offenses should not be wiped clean.

Richard