View Single Post
Old 12 Sep 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3927593)   #35
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I’m uncomfortable with outcome-based penalties in sport. Actions should be judged in themselves, not based on luck or (paradoxically) the skill of the party on the receiving end.

To me Stroll’s rejoin was just as dangerous as Vettel’s. It’s weird to issue different sanctions on the basis that Gasly avoided Stroll better than Stroll avoided Vettel. And as Born Racer says, a late move under braking or squeezing room might now attract a warning flag if the other driver backs out, or a penalty if the other driver holds their ground and a collision results.

Perhaps the "lesser" penalty for Stroll was also applied because he had already suffered a significant time penalty due to being punted off by Vettel ? If he'd been given a 10 second "stop and go" he would effectively have received a much greater penalty than Vettel, courtesy of Vettel's lack of care.