View Single Post
Old 3 Dec 2019, 21:09 (Ref:3944632)   #75
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
What you wish for is pie in the sky, racing has top teams and lower teams and top drivers and lower level drivers it is the way it has always been, if all cars were equal and all drivers equal we would never have any development and the whole point of racing is supposed to improve the car for everyday drivers. In any case the prospect of racing where the results are already know before the cars start is pretty dire unfortunately the current dominance in F1 is making less exciting that it could be. IMHO of course
Maybe I didn't explain it well enough, because I don't think it's pie in the sky. If I look at every f1 team, other than racing point, I can see some value. Alfa romeo has giovanazi who is a Ferrari driver. Williams, as bad as they are, will have one pay driver, but one talented young driver who is worth paying attention to in Russell, who has mercedes ties. Haas is next worst in this regard to racing point, as grosjean is in the perez camp imo, but magnussen is at least still young, tho doesn't seem to be likely to go much higher. Also, no manufacturer tied drivers. Renault has/had 2 good ones, did and will again next year. Torro rosso has one replaceable, brings Russia money guy, but also gasly. Now, with kyviat and albon, even that was hard to find much value imo, except albon has shown talent.

What I'm getting at, is I don't mind a pay driver on a team, but if you're gonna have one, have a young, rising stud in the other seat, or a championship contender. The problem with racing point is, the pay driver is the young one and the team owner (daddy) likely doesn't want to put a stud young rider or championship caliber guy there to embarrass his son. Hence, a non-descript, replacement level older guy, in perez. Thus, not providing any value to my viewership, making me not care if they were gone, and seeing no difference between 18 cars without them or 20 with them.

All just my opinion, of course, as one single fan.