View Single Post
Old 10 Apr 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3814679)   #104
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
To be fair to LH, I don't think he was particularly struggling with hitting his lap times, so much as not being sure what he was being asked to do....And he was pretty consistently quicker than Bottas in the latter stages.....
true true and i guess there was some sort of radio problem going on as well.

but as E.B. says, LH did have some other advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
He was on much newer rubber, having used Soft compound in Q2 (ie the tyres he had to start on,) whereas others (SV and VB) started on (and had used in Q2) SuperSoft thus had to change earlier.
i would add running in clean air to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
You mean like Hamilton did in Melbourne - when he was much closer for many more laps and the tyre situation was better for him?
right!

also an example of Merc limiting his engine mode. i recall the pit telling LH not to change engine modes with LH responding that he was going to go for it? (its hard to gauge the timing though as the radio broadcasts are often delayed so i could be wrong here).

but ultimately he didnt catch up, so i have to assume he listened to the pits and turned down his engine. basically he just held back and hope SV would make a mistake...same as Bottas did in Bahrain.

not really making a point of F1 conserving too much of this or that, but more so a point about two races in a row where Merc have completely got their tactics wrong.