Thread: Team Honda in F1
View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2019, 12:09 (Ref:3892449)   #12
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I am still amazed that Honda did not run the motor in a test mule before it was an official F1 homologated PU. The thinking behind that would be an interesting read.
There are / were all sorts of testing restrictions in place, so it might not even have been an option for them. Some of the restrictions are fair and are required to keep costs down, but for a brand new manufacturer it really hamstrung them.

There was also the overly restrictive "token" system that was in place regarding development of engines, which for the existing manufacturers with an establish product was not the end of the world, but for the exploding and slow Honda engines, must have been the most frustrating thing in the world.

After just one race, it looks like RBR are more or less in the same relative position as they have been in the last 3 or 4 seasons. I'm sure we will have a clearer picture very soon though.

McLaren have paid the pain, and RBR will get the gain.

If Honda engines start going bang or they lose out on straight line speed at some tracks this year, it will be very interesting to compare RBR's reaction, bearing in mind the silly finger pointing against Renault of recent years.