Thread: Behra, Jean
View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2016, 19:45 (Ref:3605694)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I found this thread just now, and would add that Jean was/is one of my all time heroes, a true 'racer' in every respect. I recall some scribe writing about 'great drivers' and saying that if you meant " ...more balls than a Christmas tree, you had to look at Behra and Surtees ...".
I doubt if I have the quote exactly right but the message is clear.

As a BRM fan he raised mine and many other spirits when after a disastrous showing at Aintree in 1957, with Leston and Fairman, Jean persuaded BRM to take two cars to Caen for his home Grand Prix, and promptly took their first Continental win. Not strong opposition but because it came the day after Aintree it was one of the happier memories of my motor sport career.

My screen saver is a fabulous shot I found of Jean in a Gordini at Silverstone in 1954. Definitely one of the best drivers of the '50's, and his death at Avus triggered Marie Teresa De Fillipis to retire from driving.

Rest in Peace , jean.