View Single Post
Old 6 Jan 2019, 22:31 (Ref:3874349)   #255
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I spotted just the classic for you today, Bob - a Nova with a boot. It's so long since I last saw one I can't remember if it had a different name to the Nova hatch.
The Opel version of the booted one was much more popular and more regularly seen than the Vauxhall version.

I remember some trips to a client in Amsterdam where one of the project team had one. If we were heading out in the evening looking for somewhere to eat in the city we would often take his car as he lived there (others commuted in daily) and his was the smallest car, despite the boot, so more likely to be able to find and squeeze into a canal side parking space.

My Wife had a Nova hatch ( 2 in fact, but not at the same time) for several years after she eventually learned to drive. Not a bad little thing for running the kids to school and back. Quite low mileage recorded on the first one but all of the markings on the steering column switchgear were well worn.

Apparently the previous owner was en elderly gentleman and a pigeon fancier (or bird spotter or something) and used to head out a short way into the country and sit there all day watching critters. Presumably fondling the steering column stalks at the same time.

Or, of course, the story could have been a very dodgy tale to cover up some other reason for the strange wear. Only the stalks were affected.

It served well enough for a while until we updated to a newer and better model. Bigger engine and bigger wheels. One previous lady owner. No wear on the steering column stalks.

It's funny what one remembers after many years after the smallest of promptings.