View Single Post
Old 13 Sep 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3849898)   #5
Jay Laifman
Rookie

United States
So Cal
Jay Laifman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks!

Well, interestingly, the factory documents show that our car actually left the factory without an engine - for the customer to install! So that would suggest we either can install one of the four options - or get out and push it!

Yes, the Mk VIIs had the 4cam motors in it. This one factory Mk VI was the pushrod 356 engine. I actually just found someone who has pictures of it from a 1969 race. I'm looking forward to seeing what details they reveal. One neat thing is that I can flip the Hewland 180* and then the 356 engine bolts right on, without any adapter.

Joe has separately given me similar information about the Alfa engine having more parts availability than I was lead to believe.

Yes, I know that the FIA pushes CC. But, with factory records showing other engines, I'm not sure why they do that. In any event, we are likely never to fly the car to Europe for a race, and most of the US bodies seem to be fine. One of them may be an issue. So if we definitely want to go a non-CC route, we'll first present to them all the documents and pictures we've compiled and make sure they'll ok it too.

From the classes we've seen in the US governing bodies, we are comfortable where we'd be slotted - and that we won't be at the top of the class anyway. So this is not to be on the podium. Just to have fun and enjoy the historic racing camaraderie.