Thread: Msa ?
View Single Post
Old 21 Jan 2004, 10:57 (Ref:845262)   #11
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To get away from the form issue a bit further...

MSA Rally marshals licence turned up this morning and will be valid for two years, rather than the one year on race licences. That would make sense if you had to get twice as many attendance signatures, but you still only need five attendance/satisfactory performance signatures in two years plus two training sessions covering advanced incident handling or event planning to upgrade (thats for me going grade 2 to grade 1, I guess the grade 3 to 2 will be almost the same with different training courses).

However, to upgrade (2 to 1) you need to spend a day as deputy stage commander or deputy event safety officer, and get a letter from a Rally Clerk of Course to submit with your card. The instructions from the MSA say that there are 6000 rally marshals registered now. If 2000 of those want to upgrade from grade 2 to 1, when are they going to get a chance to have a go at these higher grades? There aren't that many rallies during a year (I don't think) where the organising clubs won't already have the senior manning already set up as part of the planning process which starts months before an event.

I understand and appreciate the need for the rally marshals register, as much as I do the race marshals register, but I can see that there will be a lot of rally marshals stuck at the middle grade, because they can't get the opportunity to have a go at the senior positions. So you end up with the same situation we are getting on the crcuits with (and I'll put this carefully) older marshals at the higher levels, and no-one coming through the ranks to join them. And then of course you get into the situation, can't upgrade, get fed up with the organisation (not the sport), don't renew registration, number of registered marshals drops, MSA panics.

Perhaps having to 'shadow' the D.Stage Commander or D.Safety officer for two or three rallies may have been a better way of learning what the job entails, rather than having to do it once without fully understanding it.

Oh, and the rally licence didn't have the form enclosed.

Al.