View Single Post
Old 26 Aug 2017, 11:26 (Ref:3761692)   #37
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
'Lane keeping assist' or 'lane departure warning' were never on my radar, if that's not a pun, but a couple of scary moments changed my mind. Not something that can be retro-fitted, unfortunately! Both incidents involved the infamous articulated truck 'blind spot' and near misses when an ignorant (of the problem) car driver decided it was good to cruise along beside my cab at the same pace. The legally required n/s side mirror is not a lot of help, as the lens is so convex the distortion is hideous! A dark coloured car on a black road in the truck shadow is virtually invisible.....

To help, I'm now investing in a '360 degree' 4 camera system that will give a birds eye view of the truck and anything around it on the monitor. Also, if I indicate to change lanes it will show the relevant camera view for that side. Same if reverse is engaged. Expensive but it could save an accident or even a cyclist's life. It also gives compliance to any voluntary or compulsory city driving requirement.

Not a warning system or driver assist device, but a very good way of monitoring your surroundings. Still requires me to check the info being displayed, but that's hopefully within my powers!