DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawUloN View Post
An idea I came up for fun.
So GT3 is popular, right? It works, but with BoP and aids, both of these were portrayed as against the image of DTM, but you'd have to live with BoP.
Second point, DTM is about "touring cars" (even if they are way separated from anything you can buy), so a front engined cars that resemble road cars, but not supercars.
So let's take all front engined GT3 cars for now, rip out the aids, leave BoP and you have somthing for your first season of new DTM before you have new cars built.

GT3 regs say, that the car cannot be based on a 4 door model (or one that has an 4 door option, I'm not sure). So let's homologate, for DTM, cars that are based on models that can be 4 doored (3-series, C-class etc.). Or even, they have to be 4 door versions and go back the the DTM of 2004 with saloons. Bam, GTS3 : Grand Touring Saloons. Just build a GT3 car, but not based on M6 but on M4 Gran Coupe instead.

I doubt that manufacturers will effectively build two different cars for one set regulations. And if we exclude rear-engined cars, manufacturers like Porsche and Audi will be ruled out anyway.

Though the idea of an unrestricted GT3 series has its charm, there are many disadvantages. First of all, the costs are likely to escalate in such a scenario. If manufacturers even commit to such a ruleset. The trend goes into decreasing the own development work in favour of spec parts, i.e. LMDh. Another big issue, as has been stated before, is the sheer amount of GT3 series in Europe and Germany. In the worse case, we may end up with a scenario similar to the CART/IRL split in the mid 90's. We'd have two series battling for the same fans, tracks, sponsors, manufacturers and so on. A war, where there'd only be losers.