Old 17 Nov 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3167456)   #29
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
You must be stunned quite often then. At least on the internet forums and social media discussions, Neil seems very popular. His being in bed with Lowndes is the only usual critique.
Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
My thinking is that the entire Channel 7 team pander towards the casual viewer - like most sports presenting teams. It's all about getting new bums on seats, knowing fully well that the 'diehard' fan will turn up and watch the racing no matter what wally is shoved behind the mic (not that I think any of the current squad are wally's). This explains why we have to put up with Larko explaining to us on the white-board and in the tech-centre what understeer and oversteer are 12 times a year, it's why White and Skaife are constantly shouting (since shouting is a simple way of signifying that what's showing on the screens in front of you is entertaining - THE BEST *blank* YOU WILL EVER SEE), and it's why Crompton is consistently employing 'Cromptonisms' in his commentry, to simplify things for the new audience - but at the same time make them feel clued-up by giving them their own set of motorsport jargon. Reverse window this, V8 Supercarland that.
I've actually considered this opinion since I saw it. I came to a conclusion that they are not appealing to the casual viewer, nor to the die hard fan. For die hard fans, yes they'll turn up to watch it anyway. The casual viewer is not going to be swayed or tempted by their terrible, over the top commentary. Casual viewers would benefit more from listening to proper racing jargon, then figuring out what's going on for themselves.

So, who are they commentating to? I came to the conclusion that there is another type of racing fan they're commentating to, but hasn't been defined yet. I will call them the lightweight, fair weathered racing fan.

You may know "lightweight, fair weathered racing fan". The guy who "likes" racing, but doesn't grasp the natural form of top-level motorsport and complains whenever the "racing" doesn't suit their liking and needs to be stimulated all the time to stay interested in the race. Some may participate in forums like these and claim to be a racing fan, but deep down, they're not.

They are the Matty White of racing fans. Matty doesn't really like racing, he only got involved in motorsport because he was there at C10, when C10 went down the motorsport route in in 96. If C10 hadn't gone down that route, he wouldn't have given a ****. He just likes the motorsport industry (or maybe just the V8 industry) and loves being a part of it. However, he sees it only as a form of entertainment, as opposed to a discipline.