Old 18 Nov 2012, 10:02 (Ref:3167812)   #32
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
If you're on Facebook or Twitter, I think you'd agree that there's a damn large percentage of 'lightweight, fair weathered racing fans' out there - going by the frequently trashy and short-sighted exchanges that happen on the official V8SC Facebook page Perhaps this group still represent a majority?
Not "perhaps".

Quote:
Name a big-time category which still hums along nicely with big audience both on TV and in attendence, but frames its category as being a "discipline" and not an "entertainment"
There's none I can think of off the top of my head and I'm not sure there are any that involve 4 wheels. I'll also say I'm not sure, even amongst hardened fans, people in the motorsport industry and even big name drivers, that driving is recognised as a discipline. Maybe as an expression, but not a discipline.

Quote:
Having V8 Supercars pitch themselves as an entertainment instead of as a discipline shouldn't really come across as offensive. Everyone's doing it.
That is a major part of the problem. It's accepted and ingrained in motorsport culture. It will be extremely hard to remove

Quote:
And really most fans of motorsport should be happy to see any category they follow make changes and tweaks which attempt to get more people watching. Since it's these people which keep categories alive.
"Tweaks" I can accept. But in all the time I've followed motorsport, "tweaks" never occur. Ridiculous, wholesale changes? Definitely. F1 is most guilty of this, it's pathetic what's evolved since 1993.

Quote:
On another note - just curious. Which past V8 Supercar commentry team would you prefer to the one we've got currently?
If you're asking commentary teams that actually existed, I was ok with Raymond, Moffat, Oastler way back when at C7. Thinking about it now, even I recognise there could be a better combo.

I'll expand on this by saying that Raymond is the better generic tv station rep. Neil was better then, than the try-hard he is now. If Skaife toned it down a bit and actually became the dour, straight talking expert, he'd be tonnes better. Despite his status, there are time when I hear Skaife make a remark and I think "Shouldn't you be answering that, or providing the insight?"