Thread: Rumours 2022 Silly Season
View Single Post
Old 2 Jun 2021, 12:46 (Ref:4054343)   #23
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I don't know the answer, but how many of the current former WDC are in a one year contract situation? I guess it also depends upon how much they are being paid. Alonso is very rusty and/or beyond his sell by date. I am not sure which. Not sure what is going on with Vettel and if he can get his Mojo back or not. Lets see how rest of season works out for Alonso and Vettel. I would hate to see Kimi leave.
Vettel and Alonso are the only WDCs on the grid with 2022 contracts (that we know about in public).

Mercedes seems to be where the big decisions will be made in terms of the 2022 grid. Hamilton, Bottas, Russell and Ocon all have contracts up at the end of 2021. After last years issues - a new Hamilton contract will probably be 2yr + options. Mid-year changes are something Wolff seems to object to, so that doesn't seem to be an option unless necessary.

Another factor that may be playing on Russell's mind is the outcome of the last two Mercedes juniors - Ocon, as mentioned previously, and Wehrlein have both not reached the main F1 team, so he might feel he has to grasp the chance if it presents itself because it might be one-time opportunity.

Could Mercedes also play a holding game to see how Frederik Vesti's results pan out? Or will Guanyu Zhou still have an influence on the 2022 grid?