Thread: BTCC 2010 rumour mill
View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2619006)   #599
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Yes I agree with Craner Curves. Turkington can rightly think he shouldn't need to bring money for a drive (wasn't he paid under the RAC sponsorship?) but there is Plato as a good example.. If there aren't works teams, or the odd big sponsorship deal like RAC then you will have guys needing to bring money with them.

I always wonder how the likes of Turkington would get on approaching sponsors considering his family do own businesses as Davy pointed out.
I agree with everything said above. Turkington is world class and ought not have to bring a dowri to get a drive. However it all boils down to economics. If there are well funded teams seeking top class drivers, then they'll be willing to pay them and the driver will not need to concern themselves with the funding arrangements. If that's not the case, then the driver will need to bring funding or he won't be racing in the BTCC, simple as that. If he chooses to sit out the season or migrate to another series or form of racing, he'll need to consider the implications that would have for his career. Plato encountered that situation last year and I imagine he, Turkington and Gio are all facing it this year. Of the three, Turkington's possibly the best heeled of them all.