View Single Post
Old 23 Sep 2021, 16:47 (Ref:4075173)   #5682
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I can think of a couple of things that might explain no doubleheader at Detroit:

1. The teams don’t like doubleheaders. And I'd imagine that teams really don't like doubleheaders at street circuits, given the higher likelihood for car damage. You have a crash on Saturday, the car is too badly damaged, and you DNS the Sunday race, which really hurts you in the season standings. Or even if the car is repairable, massive overnight rebuilds isn't something that teams enjoy.

2. IMSA appeasement. IMSA is traditionally very much the junior partner at Belle Isle, not even getting top billing on Saturday. IMSA (and several teams) aren't very happy about the IndyCar Texas race being the day after Sebring. By letting IMSA at least get top billing on Saturday at Belle Isle, IndyCar would be kind of mending fences with IMSA.

Ever since Detroit became a double header in 2013, I've never heard of the potential for DNSs for the Sunday race ever being an issue, though I have heard teams have been less than impressed with paddock facilities, especially if it rains, turning the paddock into a muddy mess. I would have thought teams would be more concerned with DNSs at a double header on an oval, given the nature of oval racing.

Maybe it is to appease IMSA.