View Single Post
Old 23 May 2019, 11:54 (Ref:3905355)   #892
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I take a little exception to this. I am becoming more and more of the belief that the current stock of f1 (and other top series, too) drivers are nothing special. Seems rather than being a natural ability inherent in them, it is a skill that could be attained to a similar level by such a large percentage of people as to make them not all that great in relation to normal.

I am increasingly having a harder time believing that the supreme drivers in the world all just happen to come from the richest families and circumstances in the world. As you said, they've all been racing go karts since 6-7, and have had every opportunity for coaching and improving equipment through financial resources ever since. Seems like a learned skill that is transferable to many, given the same opportunities.
I think there is something in this but you have to acknowledge the likes of Hamilton, Verstappen and Leclerc for example are pretty special.

But I do agree with the point about wealthy families and the prep from a young age now. I just don't rate Stroll at all. He can be ok but ok isn't good enough. Marzipan isn't good enough on merit for F1. That element of raw talent is missing, instead certain ability trained into them.

The 2 big problems I have is no clear single ladder to F1 (a little less cluttered than recent years) and F1 Teams taking multiple drivers into their programmes from a silly early age - so you have F1 supported kids who already have a budget etc. advantage over someone not in the programme - who may be better. I'd prefer no F1 interference until maybe GP2 and then not the pool of drivers such that driver A can't drive for Team X because he is associated with Team Y.

I hate the modern F1 car now anyway, they're like trucks and it seems any kid can jump in and be on the pace too quickly.

All this said, I don't think the quality of the grid is better or worse than it ever was. There have always been genuine standout drivers and crap ones that you wonder how they have such loyal sponsors or parents who can't see their money would be better spent elsewhere.