View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2007, 20:40 (Ref:1810704)   #19
meb
Rookie

United States
Wappinger Falls, New York
meb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goran,

and I believe that Collin Chapman invested a lot of time working this little arrangment out. If I remember from some reading a long time ago, he hated rear swaybars. His ideal was to arrange roll centers and weight transfer so well that a rear swaybar could be avoided. I don't know if he actually applied this ideal practically.

ubrben...

Thank you for pointing the obvious out. I agree the height of the CofG cannot be altered by track but that the load on the outside tire may be reduced - in my case - if track is increased...the car bites into turns obviously harder if the fanny dyno is to be trusted.

But something else you wrote about touched on one of my questions above. I understand that springs and swaybars, and perhaps dampers, affect the rate of load transfer. I also understand intuitively how roll center migration will affect load transfer. I'm a bit lost about how RC locations and migrations as a car rolls will affect the rate of roll. does this have to with the RC's location at any given time with repect to the CofG? I rationalize in my own brain an invisible lever arm from the RC acting on the CofG. As a car is turned, load is transfered to some suspension pivot points and the CofG. Is the rate and load affected by the changing length of this lever arm? Shorter = faster rate of load transfer, but less load and longer = slower rate of load transfer but more load? Do I have this correct?

I should invest in a kinematics program so I can begin to really see what happens. Learning the values of the forces might be a next step.

Last edited by meb; 9 Jan 2007 at 20:45.