View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2018, 09:46 (Ref:3844423)   #19
JamieStewart9
Rookie

JamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJamieStewart9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having run motorcycle race meetings at Rockingham, I have to say that it isn't the best track for bikes (or anywhere near it).
I did remove it from our calendar last year due to ongoing issues that I won't go into. The circuit staff have always been excellent and I really feel for those who have lost their jobs. Whichever circuit is lucky enough to secure their services will certainly benefit from their positive attitudes.

If they had been open to the idea of abandoning the big oval (and maybe replacing it with a 3/4 mile oval on the infield, to acknowledge the oval roots) in order to make the main track more appealing to both competitors and spectators, it may well have not only survived, but prospered.

The really sad bit from my perspective, is that none of the mainstream motorsport publications seem to care about it. When Mallory Park and Donington Park were facing extinction, there was loads of media coverage and support. With Rockingham they seem to be reacting with no more than a gallic shrug.......... Sad.