Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 22 Jul 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3838008)   #2996
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Here is a novel idea, if the motor in a customer's car does not last a contracted number of races then it has to be replaced FOC. The system as it stands is the customer teams have nothing to do with the motors, that side of the equation is handled entirely by the supplier so if the supplier is not running & managing the motor properly they should fix it. No grid penalties applied or needed. The whole idea of a team car...let's say Force India copping it in the neck for a failing they had nothing to do with seems less than a good idea to me.
I think you are focusing on the cost to the teams (pay for replacement engines), but fixing that AND not giving out point and/or grid penalties creates a loophole to exploit.

So in this scenario with Honda as a supplier to both RBR and STR (and not a team owner itself and I think your special exception is for “customers“ only), they are free to create powerful engines at the risk of longevity with the teams or drivers not experiencing any points or grid penalties when a “failure” occurs? I quote failure as what make something a failure could be gamed by the teams. For example, I think some of the STR Honda engine swaps have been proactive or to pull engines early for analysis. Some of those pulled could be reused if needed (probably used in FP1 to reduce mileage on race engines?). Anyhow, my point is imagine a string of failures happening in 2019 on a regular basis in FP1 so that RBR and STR can run races with fresh engines on a regular basis and with no consequences other than Honda having to foot the replacement bill (which they may gladly do!)

It’s my understanding that most limited use special performance modes of the current engines is governed by a balance of abuse vs longevity. Meaning they can extract extra performance at the risk of reducing the expected longevity. So if you don’t expect to run to the desired total mileage, then turn the knob to eleven more often. So with a loophole like this teams would run the engines into the ground and replace them when convenient. Ultimately making a mockery of the rules. Mercedes and Ferrari as team owners (who I assume could not take advantage of this as they are not customers and would experience grid penalties) would oppose this allowance.

Richard