View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2019, 23:51 (Ref:3898488)   #43
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It amazes me why people think that changing things will change the running order. In my experience of motor racing the best always wins no matter what changes take place.
There is some truth in that but also think about recent examples of the running order being changed as a result of regulations changes:
Mercedes position in the running order changed markedly with the new engine regulations and the team has dominated through the current engine regs period. Now, I'm not suggesting that they'd be nowhere if the engine regs changed again (although it could happen) but that's one example.

Then there's Red Bull going in the other direction with the change to different engines (remember Red Bull's domination / strength prior to the changes to the engine regs).

Point is, sometimes changes DO shake up the running order - particularly if those changes are managed like the hybrid engine regs and give a free kick to any team that zigs whilst all the others choose to zag - and it turns out that zigging is the right gamble to take. The new engine regs stopped anyone who zagged from changing over to the zig path and Mercedes were off into the sunset and have maintained a lead on the engine front ever since.

Bloody good team though.