Thread: WEC Race 6 Hours of Shanghai
View Single Post
Old 13 Nov 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3780213)   #60
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Lopez just hasn't had enough experience. Generally you work up to LMP1, not go from touring cars to LMP1. He'll improve with time and be fine. I don't think he should be dropped, but I do think Toyota should be putting him in every multi-class race they can from now until April to try and bulk up the experience a bit.

On the flip side, I don't think "3 times world champion" is a relative response. He is a 3 time world champion - in single class, front wheel drive touring car racing. If this was BTCC, then he'd be incredible. But this is a very different discipline, so this sort of winning record isn't necessarily relevant. He's clearly very fast, he's clearly not daft (otherwise he wouldn't be in the car), but he is inexperienced and no amount of touring car titles are an answer to that.

As I say, put him in every multi-class race you can find until then. I'm sure you could find a seat for him in AsLMS (with Toyota money), and the early IMSA races. Hell, some experience in the GT side wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him do something in IMSA in his time away from the WEC. He may even make a Super GT appearance. That would help a lot with traffic. He still has Bahrain left this year as well.