View Single Post
Old 13 Jul 2018, 06:17 (Ref:3836435)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I feel like expanding on this so my apologies but:

Taking the example of the railways. Steam power produced massive amounts of torque but was quite messy. But it was/is great for pulling heavy loads and also gave a smooth delivery of power. During the transition from steam to diesel it was recognized that diesel was also a bit smelly and furthermore, needed an awful lot more power per cc than the equivalent steam engine, thus they developed Diesel Electric units. Similar to the current F1 PUs. These provided the torque of the steam locos but needed the diesel engine to generate the electricity.

Now as has been recognized, the need for clean air has reduced the diesel electric units and increased the pure electric powered units. But of course they can't provide that power without being connected to the grid constantly. However it is very efficient and clean/green or at least green as far as the output is concerned. So, whilst a large amount of freight is still pulled by diesel electric locos, the vast majority of mileage in the UK railway system is pure electric.

So, harping back to my point. You either have all electric (Formula E) or fossil fuel power for your race performance. To combine the two in hybrids, similar to the diesel electric locos, is a very inefficient way of producing power.

I'm enjoying the discussion so happy to be corrected.