Thread: Starting Out?
View Single Post
Old 6 Oct 2001, 12:09 (Ref:156692)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I did my apprenticeship with Graham Goodes in Leicester, got hte job by applying to an advert in Autosport. Moved up from Cornwall to get the job tho - and it was YTS. When I returned to the South West I made contact with a local Porsche racing team by writing direct to them and working non-paid to start with - I suggest you son looks in Autosport directory, Yellow pages etc and writes to any teams in Hants - there are some, also some down my way in Bournemouth and some in Salisbury, fordingbridge etc You ahve to be prepared to give up a lt tho if you want it - he cant expect to go straight into F1 either! I was offered an apprenticeship at Brabhams when I was 18 but they were going down the pan by then, best to work his way up - F3 is a good grounding for F3 as is Formula Ford to begin with. He also has to decide does he want to be engine, chassis, tyres, gearbox (good one I think!) or whatever. There are jobs out there, especially if hes enthusiastic - just got to look out for sharks!

regards
Steve

ps I gave it up after 8 years 'cos I had no social life! Made it to working in a CAD design office by then tho, and it served to get me a job with IBM after. Make him get his qualifications tho.