View Single Post
Old 26 Jan 2021, 16:18 (Ref:4031310)   #1
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Meat Daytona 24 Hrs - Roarlex Act ii

Meant to start this thread last week as to encompass the Roar immediately before the 24 and the actual 24 Hr race taking place within a 7 day time span. Following a brief 2 day intermission, cars will be on track starting Wednesday January 27.

In a new season that I personally feared might be the first of two lame duck seasons before the LMDh regs in 2023, there's still things worth looking forward to and noting.

- Mazda MX-5 Cup will run with IMSA again starting this year and will be present at Daytona. Their two races will be Thursday evening and Friday morning around brunch.
- New Acura teams. WTR and MSR will campaign the two Acuras in 2021. I don't think either team had a necessarily strong Roar or qualifying race, but both teams feature strong line-ups and patience to keep in contention over 24 hours when not quite featuring at the speedy end of the field.
- That Cadillac. I'll be the first to admit I yawn when media outlets lose their mind of nascar drivers entering sportscar races. Having said that, the 48 Cadillac feels like a huge hail mary of a lineup and it'll be interesting to see what result they can achieve.
- P2 class has 10 entrants, probably the largest number of P2 entries in IMSA in a long time (I may fact check this during the race unless someone in the class knows the answer). Quality looks to be about 50/50, and the class wasn't ignoring during the Motul 100. The more professional teams should be entertaining to watch. Also of note on the entry list, one Robert Kubica is listed with "?" as his nationality. I may also look that up during the race.
- P3 in the big show. There's some decent talent sprinkled in this class. I'll be interested to see which Am drivers throw this one away and in what fashion. I know some may lament the inclusion of the class. It's definitely helping shape the 50/50 blend of prototypes and GT cars in the field. IMO the P3 V8s do have a pleasant in person exhaust note. Enjoy it if you're track side!
- GTLM Maybe the racing will be good? It's difficult to be excited for the current 6 car field knowing it'll eventually drop to Corvettes & Cooper. Could be worse, and maybe the P3 cars will add some spice to the GTLM pace and race management. Hope all teams can keep it clean. At least at the green flag, these two classes in particular will be separated by quite some real estate if the same protocol is followed as the Motul 100.
- GTD is by far the largest class with 19 of the 49 entries. Lots of familiar faces here. Potentially surprising there's only 1 NSX on the entry - wasn't it touted as the car to have as 2020 drew to a close? The strength in numbers award goes to 911 teams with 4 entries. Would have been 5 before the Tim Pappas withdrawal. Otherwise there's decent variety in the class, usually one of my favorite aspects of GT3 racing.

- Michelin Pilot Challenge is usually decent racing and helps me get excited for the main race. This year's 4 hour race takes place during second-lunch and dinner appetizer hours of 135-535 on Friday.
-GS has decent variety and will host the debut IMSA race for the Toyota Supra GT4 in the states. (Has it raced anywhere else yet?)
- TCR should be an interesting watch as this class usually features fairly close racing, at least for a while. Hyundai represents about a 3rd of the class, and I'm surprised to see the next numerous car is the Honda. I've felt that car has struggled with the tire the most over the last few years. It was reported there has been an evolution of the S9M dubbed S9M+ for the front axles of TCR cars.

Overall the Daytona track doesn't really get me going as a track, but the start of the season and being back to racing has got me looking forward to the weekend. Links of various shapes and sizes to help follow the event:

Schedule - Daytona 24 green flag at 3:40PM EST

Entry List

Weather

Session Results

Spotter Guides

Link to this thread

Live Timing - A few different options here. theracingline.net/timing/ utilizes the alkamel systems feed a lot of us are used to and love. I know you can also download a desktop app with that feed which includes some additional options. IMSA tweaks the feed into a different presentation which I feel doesn't quite allow you to geek out as much. Your mileage may vary.

Streaming and other watching - NBC proper will air the start and end of the race. It'll flip over to NBCSN during various points. I'm not 100% of their broad casting schedule. All races during the event should be available on Trackpass as was the case last year. International viewers should be able to utilize IMSA.tv with the RLM commentary. A few tenthers reported spotty streaming during the Motul 100. I'm sure at some point the internet will stick a stream on youtube.

Daughter's birthday was yesterday, so no now 2yo party shenanigans to deal with on race day this year. That'll allow me to focus on food and drink.

Seanyb505's 2021 Daytona 24 Hotdog/drinking game:
- Driver's Start engines - start pouring your drink
- Race starts - start your hotdog (This assumes you have adequately cooked your hotdog of whatever national heritage you choose)
- First yellow flag caused by a P3 car - drink
- It's a super long yellow relative to the actual incident - finish your drink, start another hotdog
- Lack of rain causes commentators to start calculating record distance - finish your hotdog, start another drink
- 4 hour green flag run - take a nap
- Any lull in the race filled by discussing how there's so many drivers from other disciplines - take a shot of whatever national drink dictated by the nationality of your favorite special appearance driver's
- Overnight fog red flag - sleep
- Sun rises on Daytona - breakfast hotdog with eggs (skip breakfast if it's cloudy)
- 24 1 hour sprints and just needing to make it to the last hour mentioned - take a drink for every remaining hour of the race (This may also be a finish your drink if it happens early enough in the race)

Bring on the racing!