View Single Post
Old 22 Sep 2021, 10:47 (Ref:4075018)   #8
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It isn't true rallycross for those of us who grew up on the real thing. However, as I have said before, knowing Travis he is committed to this and has been working at all the tracks. The man is all about the show which I know is so American but matters here. Remember no-one knows what rallycross is here nor do they know about rally. Off-road is the trucks you see Deegan in. So there is a massive cultural difference to Europe

Re X Games/GRC similarity - definitely. The early X Games and GRC (at least when I was involved) had a lot of potential. It went wrong for multiple reasons but there is a there in all of this. When I have spoken to Travis since GRC died he has always seen this.

The challenge is costs. I have the budget from one of the top teams and that is going to be hard to raise here - it wasn't easy back in 2012/3 - when it was cheaper.

Re long-term as I have posted before the series is looking to establish regional series for the lower classes to start building a sustainable future. This is an area it broke in before. GRC wanted nice modern cars costing $100k plus and that doesn't get spent here on cars you can use a few times a year especially when we are inundated with oval tracks where entry is free and there is prize money and you can race every week (depending on weather).

So to be a parrot, if anyone can make this work it is Travis. Subaru being in is huge here and then having really strong European machinery will make the show competitive. The gap jump was never a real problem with the drivers even though everyone made Morro or TP go over it first (the bikers just get it and can set the speed perfectly). These jumps are safer than what we used back then.

So I am wishing TP the best of luck on this adventure. While definitely not true rallycross - autocross? - it is the best chance we have of something working here so I will take it.

Mark