View Single Post
Old 28 Dec 2020, 02:19 (Ref:4025472)   #56
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Sorry but ICE "not being in any road car" is a very long way off at this point. For sure, ICE ONLY propulsion for new cars is due to be outlawed in 10 year's time in some locations but hybrids are still allowed at that stage, plus of course all the ICE / hybrid vehicles already on the road.

My personal best guess is that we'll end up with different fuel types that will enable ICE use for a very long time, alongside hybrid, EV and Hydrogen.

Supercars was quoted some time ago re the possibility of hybrid power, along the lines of the NASCAR model (V8 ICE plus hybrid). No doubt it is something that is being looked at (what the power units will be) but the point I was making is that none of us on here will be making those decisions and as the current platforms have a number of years of market relevance, it is too early to be demanding answers on the plan beyond that or to be predicting the end of the world as we know it.
No one knows what the universal power unit will be but unless there is a break through in the alternatives batteries for all their problems have got the rail run to the finish line, at least for now. I suppose the next five years will sort that out, I can't see the manufacturers who are now investing huge amounts of capital for no return are going to abandon BEV's and re-structure all over again. They have made their bet and they are going to ride it out at least until they have made the ROI on battery power. SC going hybrid will cause additional expense and added complexity for no demonstrable result other than a feel good one. I too suspect that any change to electric is a long way off for very good and well known reasons. It should be all in for either one and not some half baked hybrid that effectively proves nothing. The problem is that SC have publicly demonstrated their inability or refusal to acknowledge changes that have taken place and the problems that are going to arise and will change things forever.

I have to ask you for your assessment of when the powers that be in SC have to put their thinking caps on and come up with answer to how they see things beyond the present cars now being used. The power train is a secondary issue that is already defined, sooner or later it will change for batteries, to dream about Hydrogen etc is at this stage wishful thinking.