View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 2018, 09:51 (Ref:3845153)   #36
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
Auction results, any one of the internet race car sales sites, private ads, there is a huge resource available to HMC.
A mate of mine bought a used Cannondale bike frame in the States on one of our trips, bought it home hand baggage and HMC valued it to within 10 of the price he paid privately.
They do know their job.
Before the interweb became so popular they apparently asked people like Coys.
I wonder if they still use them?

Nowadays they apparently use "market value", so even if you have been lucky enough to buy something cheap the costs are based on a "real-world" value.

It was different before - one time when I was importing a large French car the customs guy said "that wasn't very expensive", I replied that it was all I could afford!

Another time a friend had just negotiated the import of a classic car, that was surprisingly affordable, and the customs officer said "That was cheap, I've just finished restoring a T-type MG"!