View Single Post
Old 2 Jun 2017, 21:46 (Ref:3738236)   #87
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Car looks fabulous, a shame about it's origins

FT5000 and Super5000 have no hope of getting up in any fashion unless there is a merger or Lambden gives in.

FT5000 or Super5000 would only help F4, not hinder it. Infact i think F4 only remains viable in the long-term if there is a proper open-wheel series above it.
Agree with you on all that, maybe some kind of merger might work but it would depend on how similar the performance is I guess - there were different manufacturers back in the day with F5000 of course so it might work.

This car for example is very heavy for an open wheeler at 850kg as quoted in the article but maybe that's fully fuelled and with a driver? The FT5000 was quoted as 670kg or thereabouts I think, which is kinda where you'd expect a stock block 5.0 litre open wheeler to be weight wise.

According to the Fox sports article, the Super5000 project dates back to 2015 so maybe it was a case of different people having a similar idea at a similar time but the way it has all unfolded has been a great shame but I guess not the first and probably not the last time that similar ideas have been mooted at the same time in motorsport.

For sure, this car looks far more retro than the other car. Whether either series can get off the ground remains to be seen.