View Single Post
Old 7 Aug 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3757998)   #80
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Here's a possibly mad idea that's just occurred to me: the WCC is contractually obliged to run a third car for the reigning F2 champion.
First thing that comes to mind is... who funds it? And if you say the teams, why would they agree to do that. Second is could it score points. If not, would that car be used to disrupt other drivers, etc.

How about third cars for Saturday race (after qualifying, but not a full GP distance, no required pit stops to change tires). One car per team, restrictions on drivers (i.e. no drivers with substantial F1 experience). Drivers may have something similar to a superlicense, but with slightly relaxed experience requirements (to help facilitate new drivers who don't have the required mileage). Separate championship for this Saturday series (i.e. this does not impact regular F1 series). For struggling teams, they may fill the grid with pay drivers (ala Stroll), while top tier teams can use this to test out those who are making it more on talent than budget. Find some way to bring in guest drivers from other series for the entertainment factor. Potential less restrictions on power unit allocations (allow development engines).

I just made that up on the fly. It may be full of holes. Clearly it adds cost which is the biggest issue.

Richard