View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3843170)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Goodwood is not representative of UK Historic racing but is now just a very expensive carnival and marketplace. For real historic action go to any HSCC or Masters event at any circuit other than the windswept horror that is now Silverstone. Or try the excellent Castle Combe Classic. All cost a tenth of Goodwood and fill the days with action on the track.

Popped along to Mallory Park yesterday for the VSCC meeting.

A good crowd though not the biggest I've seen at Mallory and I think the last time I went to the VSCC meeting the crowd might have been bigger.

Gate prices up 25% since then may have had some influence for families?

Quite a number of interesting cars, mainly very historic, parked up in the public parking on the outside of the circuit. Presumably a few inside as well - I never did manage to get around to crossing the bridge.

One or two people in period dress but nothing overdone or deliberately flashy (that I saw). Quite a few groups parked on the bank with picnics, seats, tables and, in some cases, small gazebos.

For some reason the cars on parade did not seem as widely interesting or varied as the last time I went to the equivalent meeting but that's not unusual. The inclusion of a 500cc F3 race allowed some variety as did the Morgan Challenge which of course provided an opportunity for some disguised modern technology.

I don't know for certain and this was only a one day even but I suspect the "footfall" probably exceeded what one might have seen for a day (or maybe two days) at the Donington Historic Festival. Especially if one allows for the number of Competitors and how that affects the numbers of support people and friends and family who will, most of the time, be indistinguishable from purely spectating visitors. If so that would be interesting, though I'm not sure what conclusions could be drawn from the comparison.