View Single Post
Old 9 Jul 2018, 16:32 (Ref:3835692)   #17
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
This year we had a 2.4s difference between first and last in Q1.
This is not a fair comparison as it is highly likely, in fact probable, that the fastest cars such as the Mercs, Ferraris, etc. weren't giving it 100% in Q1, unlike qualifying in the past when there wasn't an elimination process as now.

Quote:
We had a roughly 4s difference in fastest laps and everyone that finished were on the lead lap. The retirements were mainly due to crashes.
Again, an unfair comparison as yesteryear there was no safety car to bunch up the cars, and in some instances allow cars/drivers to unlap themselves. And in this years race, there were two safety car periods late in the race which had a dramatic effect on both the result and how the cars all finished on the same lap.

Quote:
The old times look nice, feel nice in memory but were not better.

On the whole, I agree with you, although certain aspects of the racing was better back then because it was man and machine racing whereas nowadays there is too much reliance on machine. And I can only remember that race in Italy that produced such a dramatic finish. Oh, and the Monaco race when Mansell was climbing all over who I can't remember for lap after lap to try to win the race.