Old 31 Dec 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3349189)   #27
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
This thread concerning the differences is totally ignoring-- the simple fact -- the absolute differences in racing history between this side of the pond and over there.
In U.S. there were dozens of makes,= pre-WW II and right after WW II still over one-half dozen makes, who were racing stocks cars in regional ( what NASCAR is now only came about in less than the past twenty years) series or singular races across the country hundreds of time a month or even weekly at times.
I believe I made mention of this, at least with regared to in the U.S., with my statement:

"back in the mid to late 40s, right after then end of World War II, numerous small tracks sprung up all around the Southern United States. Several loosly organized groups sanctioned different races on these small ovals. Many of the drivers that competed at these tracks were drivers that the night before had delievered illegal "moonshine" from the Hills of North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and North Georgia. There was a potential for organization and along about 1947 or so, a group, headed by a gentleman, named William H.G. (Big Bill) France, met, in a Hotel in Daytona Beach, Florida. That day, NASCAR was formed."

from above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
What exists now is a shadow of what once was and really is really a third or fourth cousin to what existed pretty much through the eighties in the U.S..
That can be prety much said about every professional racing series today. All are shadows of their former selves, none of them are what they were, 40, 30, 20, even 10 years ago.