View Single Post
Old 28 May 2018, 16:01 (Ref:3825267)   #52
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been reading the various comments on this thread/topic and have been mulling over how to reply, for several days since the topic first appeared. I honestly do not see the need for arguing. Discussion and debate are good, but arguing really serve no purpose.

Everyone wants to talk about how they would change NASCAR. I am going to offer a point that perhaps no one here or on any other forum where this topic has been brought up, has thought about. The reason why NASCAR is in the position/trouble that it is in presently, beside the poor economy, that affected every sport and every form of racing, is TOO MUCH CHANGE! I won't factor in the economy, because that is something that no one had any control of. I will only address what could have been controlled.

The old saying goes, "Don't try to fix what isn't broken" When that happens, it is a recipe for disaster. Do not change what is working, unless you have something that is guaranteed to work better. That, unfortunately, is what NASCAR did and it has put NASCAR into decline. A prime example of how trying to fix what was not broken and why it should be avoided, is what bruton smith did to Bristol Motor Speedway. He tried to fix was not broken and in the process he ruined the track. His plan blew up in his fat little face and subsequent changes to try to put it back to the way it was have not been met with success, thought I understand, from what I hear from the drivers that raced on the old Bristol surface said, after this last race, that it is about where it was, before smith started trying to fix what was not broken.

Here is what I think should be done. Instead of making radical changes to NASCAR, go back, find what made NASCAR so popular and remove the changes that have caused it's loss of popularity! Easier said than done, yes. But it could be done. I have several ideas about how I believe it could be done, but it will take several more entries/posts for me to express them. I do not feel like expounding on them today, so I will start on another day.