View Single Post
Old 24 Apr 2007, 09:13 (Ref:1899152)   #13
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks chaps.

I remember the Woodcote Chicane incident well 'chunterer', as I was actually sat in the grandstand overlooking it!

This is what Motoring News had to say after the incident...

'The rift of life has ceased to be... scene at Woodcote last Sunday, after a violent deluge had turned the braking area at Silverstone's notorious chicane into something more akin to a swimming pool than a racetrack. First to go amongst this little bunch was Marc Duez (Rover), who was lucky to be missed by the spinning VW Golf as he scrambled clear. Next, Barry Williams lost control of Frank Sytner's new BMW, and then piled into the sleepers, and then the Rover, catching fire briefly while Williams jumped out... just in time to be missed by Chuck Nicholson's errant Jaguar. Terry Drury's Alfa GTV6 and Rob Hall's MG Metro Turbo also fell foulf of the dire conditions, making this one very expensive parking lot. Happily, none of the drivers was badly hurt. Whilst all this was going on, incidentally, another dozen or so cars contrived to spin in the area, most being fortunate not to do any damage.'

There is a photo with the report which I'll scan in and post on here later. Not too sure how badly damaged the Metro was though as there is an Alfa one side and a Jaguar the other!