View Single Post
Old 18 Jun 2001, 16:24 (Ref:106472)   #2
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slowcoach,

I used to think that motorsport wasn't as dangerous as everyone made it out to be. Then I realised it isn't just the risk of your own mechanical or mental failure, it is that of the people around you.

At our last State Round in our class (Improved PRoduction Cars) I don't think one car came back straight. There were all sorts of stupid moves and dangerous tactics being used, which means we now have to go and spend more money rebuilding the car.

We were running in the front bunch after starting on the back of the grid. When my Dad, who lacks a bit of race craft knowledge left a small gap, and a Mazda RX3 used us for brakes. We accepted this as a fair move, as the door was left open for him. Next lap around and my Dad goes through the same corner, this time a supposed experienced driver decided not to brake at all going into a 100 degree right hander and took both us and himself off the track. We recovered and finished 6th or 8th or something, but it cost us a podium finish.

It was stupid and foolish and is costing us more time and parts to get the car ready for next meeting.

Another example is the race straight after ours which saw an HQ lose it coming onto the main straight, so all the drivers behind him, put the boot in and we ended up with 8 cars written off, and 2 drivers being flown off to the spinal units of Victorian Hospitals.

It is these incidents which make you think that the licencing system needs to be scaled up, not down, and that there should be more education on race craft and driving tactics, as well as bigger fines in place for reckless drivers.

Otherwise, we may have to put together a stockpile of panels and an older car and go out and teach these drivers a lesson ourselves.

hahahahahaha